Press "Enter" to skip to content

Modules

Process:



The basic idea was building supporting panel for my timezone map, which I can possibly attach or lean the map on the bottom part thus the whole piece can stand stable and also foldable. As soon as I got the idea, I start building mock ups with paper and board scraps.


Visiting Metropolitan Lumber & Hardware at 175 Spring St to get 1 in thickness lumber.


… and made a big mistake of buying hinges with way too small sizes. It’s also visible in the first mock up – I somehow imagined to attach hinge in the front part and thought the hinge size < 0 .75″ because lower height than 0.75 will have some slope and wouldn’t be available to attach hinge. Later, I realize my brain did something bad and repurchased adequate size of hinges.


Using my sketch and jig to accelerate the process.


But I ended up with many “first-pancakes” due to miserable measurement. It was more noticeable especially due to its small size. Nonetheless, I brought them home to see how they look like with the whole piece. They definitely looked bulky, which led me to later cut out some portion from original shape.

Next day, I went to the shop to give a second shot and realize that the attached jig on the band saw gets tilted if it’s tightened. Although the band saw wasn’t the most ideal tool to have precise cut, I found another reason that made my cutting extra inaccurate.

Then the next step was just repeating the same step as the day before – except not using the attached jig on the band saw. The other trick I added was rather cutting half length and flip it to cut the rest of the half than cutting in one time, so I can minimize the error even if the saw travels to a wrong path. In result, I got much more satisfying “pancakes” than the previous ones.


Next step was modifying the shape. I assume this could’ve done in easier and simpler way but as usual I walked in to the difficult way. After testing with some “first-pancakes”, I’ve decided to roughly cut the shape with band saw and then sand it.

Regarding the module’s size and my finger’s safety, the process required another jig.

Fixing with C-clamp and sanding with Dremel.

… and I just had to go with mini hinges. Because these don’t have screws, I made holes with smallest drill bit and later applied them with wood glue.

 

 

2 Comments

  1. Ben Light Ben Light November 7, 2017

    Nice work, I’m so glad you made a jig, awesome. How did you make the jig? On the bandsaw? Why did you pick oak as your material? Is there a plan to add a finish to the wood? Do you want the stand to blend in with the map or stand out?

    And yes, the bandsaw does not give accurate results.

    I am a little confused on the design of the stand, where do the hinges go? And how does the stand support the map? Do they sit around the map?

    • Alice Alice November 7, 2017

      Hi Ben, the sloped or curved surface will face the outer side and the straight surface will be the inside with hinges attached. Somehow in my initial sketch I imagined the hinges to be attached on the outside – which is why I bought such mini-sized hinges in order to avoid sloped part. I will upload further sketches to make it clear.

      As much as I have little knowledge about wooden material, I impulsively bought the oak lumber just because it was the only scrap that had 1in thickness in the Metropolitan Lumber shop. Later I realized pine might be a better choice but on the other hand, I kind of like the color and texture of it.

      Yes, I’m expecting the stand to blend in with the map and tryimg to make it less bulky. The map itself has cylinder shape and was going to attach or lean behind the inner part of stand.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *