What will be the ways for technology to increase or decrease the gap among people?
- Income and lifespan inequality
- across different countries
- and inside a country
- Areas to look into (from class feedback)
- pattern of income inequality; when are the moments that the gap got widened or narrowed
- middle-class and their age
- how many generations does it take for poor to be rich (economic mobility)?
- role of education
- relationship between time and income inequality?
Reference: Hans Rosling’s Talk
The quality of life in overall countries got dramatically elevated, however, with significant amount of inequality. It is visible by how bubbles that represent different countries are located in scattered shape in 2008, compared to 1830.
It gets more interesting when he takes apart some cities in China and starts locating them next to other countries. In 2009, China had relatively lower lifespan and income level than Italy – while Shanghai alone was in comparable status. Then, he takes Guizhou apart and locate next to Pakistan. Furthermore, within Guizhou, the poorest rural area was comparable with Ghana.